Thanks to these stars, Boston’s talented youth are taking the reality TV stage. Viewers have their reality TV planned for them Monday and Tuesday watching Needham’s own Olympic Gold Medalist Aly Raisman (@Aly_Raisman) as she breaks out her dancing shoes on ABC’s Dancing with the Stars (DWTS). Then everybody can tune into Fox on Wednesday and Thursday nights to watch Beverly’s own Angie Miller (@AngieAI12) sing past the competition on American Idol. Thank goodness for DVR! Just make sure you vote for these hometown girls!
I have already given Angie the credit she deserves in The Branding of a Star post I wrote over a week ago, but what about Aly?
Here are the reasons why she is a strong contender for DWTS!
What Aly has going for her…..
- We are now in Season 16 of DWTS. Looking back at the winner’s circle, the past 7 of 15 winners were pro athletes. The remaining 8 of 15 were 6 actors and 2 singers. After season 8, the athletes were blowing away the competition. The actors and singers have been playing catch-up ever since, making it a tight race (pun intended). The athletes reclaimed the race in Seasons 12 and 14. I would say that it is time for an athlete to win again. Here is a list of the athletes who have won in the past:
- Season 3: Emmitt Smith, former NFL Dallas Cowboys Running Back
- Season 4: Apolo Anton Ohno, American Olympic Champion Speed Skater
- Season 5: Helio Castroneves, Brazilian Indy Car Racer
- Season 6: Kristi Yamaguchi, American Olympic Champion Figure Skater
- Season 8: Shawn Johnson, American Olympic Champion Gymnast.
- Season 12: Hines Ward, former NFL Pittsburgh Steelers Wide Receiver
- Season 14: Donald Driver, NFL Green Bay Packers Wide Receiver (wiki.answers.com)
This makes sense. Major athletes are accustom to intense training with an ultimate goal they are striving for. They know what it takes to reach that goal. In a way this gives them the competitive edge. Their bodies are accustom to these extreme conditions as they focus on perfecting their dancing techniques.
- Another advantage Aly has in DWTS is that her professional ballroom partner is Mark Ballas. Mark just happened to be the partner of season 8 winner Shawn Johnson, the only gymnast to win this competition. He also was the partner to season 6 winner Kristi Yamaguchi. He placed Top 3 in 3 other seasons as well. Mark is in the Coach’s elite club, one of 5 to have won the competition twice. The only person to beat this record is Derek Hough, who won 3 times. (www.abc.go.com/shows/dancing-with-the-stars, wiki.answers.com)
- Being a gymnast, Aly is used to extreme training scenarios. She has great control of her body. She knows how to manage it perfectly to execute her moves on the mat, as well as the dance floor, giving her another competitive advantage.
As much as I would love to see Aly win this competition, there are a few things that could get in the way:
What Aly is up against?
As much as I would love a reality TV sweep for these Bostonian ladies, there are a couple of things Aly has to keep in mind.
- She isn’t the only athlete this season; there are 3 others who could be a potential threat.
- Dorothy Hamill, American Olympic Champion Figure Skater
- Jacoby Jones, NFL Baltimore Ravens Wide Receiver
- Victor Ortiz, Mexican Welterweight Boxing Champion (www.abc.go.com/shows/dancing-with-the-stars)
- She needs to watch out for Derek Hough and Kellie Pickler – While watching this duo perform, I forgot who is the professional and who is the star. Kellie has amazing control over her body and wowed the judges with a score of 21, tying Aly for second place. Derek is also the only coach to win this competition more than Mark.
- If we are going off the first performance of this season, Zendaya, an actress and singer partnered with Val Chmerkovskiy, set the competitive bar high with a leading score of 24. (www.abc.go.com/shows/dancing-with-the-stars)
Granted it’s still very early in the competition, so it’s hard to tell who will be the winner this season of DWTS. We’ll just have to wait and see. Aly Raisman has quite a few things going for her. There is no doubt that Aly and Mark will stay ontop of the leaderboard in the coming weeks. However, there is some stiff competition out there that is going to give them a run for their money, or in this case Mirror Ball Trophy (cough, cough – Kelly, Derek, Zendaya and Val).
File Under: Final 3? We will see!